Christmas Tree Cutting Season On In Okanogan-Wenatchee Forest
The public is welcome to search for that special Christmas tree to cut down in the Okanogan-Wenatchee National Forest.
A $5 Christmas tree permit is required to remove a tree, which can be done in designated forest land which is mapped out in five areas.
Forest Service spokesperson Robin DeMario says searching through the forest for a Christmas Tree is a time-honored practice.
"We share this information because a lot of families get together at Thanksgiving, and it's a tradition that they go out in the woods and get their Christmas tree on the day after Thanksgiving as a family, and enjoy each other's company," said DeMario. "We just wanted to let folks know that those permits are available."
Trees up to 15 feet can be chopped down in specific national forestland in the Wenatchee, Chelan, Entiat, Leavenworth and Cle Elum areas.
DeMario says the permits can be purchased online and at a range of locations in person.
"So, if you don't live in the Wenatchee, or if you live in the Leavenworth area, there's a list if vendors there, and for other ranger districts too, DeMario said.
Retail Locations offering Christmas Tree Permits:
- Hooked on Toys, 1444 N. Wenatchee Ave., phone 509-663-0740
- Arlberg Sports, Grand Central Bldg., 25 N. Wenatchee Ave., phone 509-663-7401
- Stan’s Merry Mart, 733 S. Wenatchee Ave., phone 509-662-5858
Leavenworth and Lake Wenatchee areas
- Dan’s Market, 1329 Hwy 2 in Leavenworth, phone 509-548-5611
- Icicle Quick Stop, 585 Hwy 2 in Leavenworth, phone 509-548-9601
- Plain Hardware, 18636 Beaver Valley Road, Plain, phone 509-763-3836
- Midway Grocery, 14193 Chiwawa Loop Road, Lake Wenatchee, 509-763-3344
- Hank’s Market, 412 E. Methow Valley Hwy (Hwy 20) in Twisp, 509-997-7711
- Hank’s Mini Mart, 410 E. Methow Valley Hwy (Hwy 20) in Twisp, 509-997-4332
- Pardners Mini-Mart, 900 Hwy 20 in Winthrop, phone 509-996-2005
Cle Elum / Roslyn area
- Mac-A-Bee Gifts of the Southwest, 1401 Airport Road, Cle Elum, 509-674-7055
- Pioneer Coffee Company, 121 N Pennsylvania Ave, Cle Elum, phone 509-674-4100
- Sportland Shell Mini Mart, Hwy 903 between Cle Elum & Roslyn, phone 509-649-2260
- Basecamp Books and Bites, 110 W Pennsylvania Ave, Roslyn, phone 509-649-3821
Tree hunters are asked choose a tree from a dense forested area, which will give the remaining trees more space to grow.
Trees are allowed to be cut down until Dec. 31. Each $5 Christmas tree permit allows for two trees to be cut down.
More info from the Okanogan Wenatchee National Forest here.